Synonyms for abstinence
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ab-stuh-nuhns or ab-stuh-nuhn-see|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈæb stə nəns or ˈæb stə nən si|
Top 10 synonyms for abstinence
Définition of abstinenceOrigin :
- mid-14c., "forbearance in indulgence of the appetites," from Old French abstinence (earlier astenance), from Latin abstinentia, noun of quality from abstinentem (nominative abstinens), present participle of abstinere (see abstain). Specifically of sexual appetites from mid-14c., but also in Middle English of food, fighting, luxury.
- noun restraint from desires, especially physical desires
- Now that we have dined well, I would like to say aword on abstinence.
- Extract from : « Sir Brook Fossbrooke, Volume I. » by Charles James Lever
- When abstinence is the only choice, an ascetic frame of mind comes easy.
- Extract from : « My Reminiscences » by Rabindranath Tagore
- You will meet my abstinence by the only amends you can make to me.
- Extract from : « Wisdom, Wit, and Pathos of Ouida » by Ouida
- It is abstinence from evil quite as much as eager realization of good.
- Extract from : « Strong Souls » by Charles Beard
- The Ihrm must be put on, and the obligations of abstinence which it entails must be observed.
- Extract from : « The Faith of Islam » by Edward Sell
- Another secret of their modest wealth is their abstinence from strong drink.
- Extract from : « Manasseh » by Maurus Jokai
- The worship of Brahma consists in doing penance and in abstinence.
- Extract from : « A Comparative View of Religions » by Johannes Henricus Scholten
- There must be abstinence from the sex relation before a fishing expedition.
- Extract from : « Folkways » by William Graham Sumner
- And now, secondly, notice the plain Christian duty of abstinence.
- Extract from : « Expositions of Holy Scripture » by Alexander Maclaren
- Abstinence is as easy to me as temperance would be difficult.
- Extract from : « Familiar Quotations » by John Bartlett
Antonyms for abstinence
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019