Synonyms for above board
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : uh-buhv-bawrd, -bohrd|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈbʌvˌbɔrd, -ˌboʊrd|
Top 10 synonyms for above board Other synonyms for the word above board
- bona fide
- fair and square
- lay it on the line
- like it is
- no lie
- on the level
- on the up and up
- true blue
- what you see is what you get
Définition of above boardOrigin :
- 1610s, from above and board (n.1). "A figurative expression borrowed from gamesters, who, when they put their hands under the table, are changing their cards." [Johnson]
- As in honest : adj truthful, candid
- That's all above board, but by thunder, if it's a fight that you will have, touch that man again.'
- Extract from : « Micah Clarke » by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The buyer gains much by being open and above board with the seller.
- Extract from : « Dollars and Sense » by Col. Wm. C. Hunter
- I asked him why, an' open an' above board he says: 'Because I'm goin' to get drunk.'
- Extract from : « Prairie Flowers » by James B. Hendryx
- My life has always been perfectly open and above board, not like that of my husband.
- Extract from : « The Opal Serpent » by Fergus Hume
- As for you and me, we'll make a lot of money and make it fairly and above board.
- Extract from : « Frenzied Finance » by Thomas W. Lawson
- Show me a man who's dealing bank; he's free and above board.
- Extract from : « The Easiest Way » by Eugene Walter and Arthur Hornblow
- The action of the Popes, on the contrary, has been fair and above board.
- Extract from : « Ave Roma Immortalis, Vol. 2 » by Francis Marion Crawford
- Everything was frank and above board in that age of chivalry.
- Extract from : « History of the United Netherlands, 1600-09, Vol. IV. Complete » by John Lothrop Motley
- If he were honest and above board, he would go in for her before all the world.
- Extract from : « Johnny Ludlow, Third Series » by Mrs. Henry Wood
- I wonder whether that fellow in the train was all above board?
- Extract from : « A Lively Bit of the Front » by Percy F. Westerman
Antonyms for above board
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019