Antonyms for ancillary
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : an-suh-ler-ee or, esp. British, an-sil-uh-ree|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈæn səˌlɛr i or, esp. British, ænˈsɪl ə ri|
Définition ancillaryOrigin :
- 1660s, "subservient, subordinate," from Latin ancillaris "relating to maidservants," diminutive of ancilla "handmaid," fem. diminutive of anculus "servant," literally "he who bustles about," from root of ambi- "about" (see ambi-) + PIE *kwol-o-, from root *kwel- "move round, turn about, be much about" (see cycle (n.)).
- adj extra; supplementary
- The hero sees that the event is ancillary; it must follow him.
- Extract from : « Essays, Second Series » by Ralph Waldo Emerson
- It is not a carving of statues, but only holding a torch for the public; ancillary writing.
- Extract from : « Instigations » by Ezra Pound
- The division of Sciences into ancillary and "architectonic" is Aristotelian.
- Extract from : « The Philosophy of Natural Theology » by William Jackson
- Ancillary, an′sil-ar-i, adj. subservient, subordinate (with to).
- Extract from : « Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary (part 1 of 4: A-D) » by Various
- But Madame Montessori's relation to the feminist movement is, after all, ancillary.
- Extract from : « Women as World Builders » by Floyd Dell
- The negative (they think) can only be tolerated in small doses, and even then merely as ancillary to the affirmative.
- Extract from : « Plato and the Other Companions of Sokrates, 3rd ed. Volume I (of 4) » by George Grote
- But as philosophy is subsidiary and ancillary, it will be sufficient to set forth what is said about the Society's theologians.
- Extract from : « The Jesuits, 1534-1921 » by Thomas J. Campbell
- The functions of the archdeacon are in the present day ancillary in a general way to those of the bishop of the diocese.
- Extract from : « Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 2, Slice 4 » by Various
- We have here the recognition of the inspiration of the scribe, as ancillary to that of the prophet.
- Extract from : « Expositor's Bible: The Book of Jeremiah » by William Henry Bennett
- This is 'contemplation,'—it is thus effected by the first six of the ancillary things.
- Extract from : « The Sarva-Darsana-Samgraha » by Madhava Acharya
Synonyms for ancillary
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019