Synonyms for unfortunate
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : uhn-fawr-chuh-nit|
|Phonetic Transcription : ʌnˈfɔr tʃə nɪt|
Top 10 synonyms for unfortunate
- in a bad way
- out of luck
Définition of unfortunateOrigin :
- 1520s, "unlucky," from un- (1) "not" + fortunate. Infortunate in same sense is from late 14c. (along with a verb infortune "to render unhappy," and a noun meaning "bad luck). In late 18c.-early 19c., unfortunate woman was a polite way to say "prostitute." The noun meaning "one who is not fortunate" is recorded from 1630s.
- adj unlucky, bad
- It was unfortunate as to time, owing to the condition of affairs in Italy.
- Extract from : « The Grand Old Man » by Richard B. Cook
- She had just taken the class, and was so unfortunate as not to be acquainted with their names.
- Extract from : « Ester Ried Yet Speaking » by Isabella Alden
- The unfortunate victim of the law came perilously close to despair then.
- Extract from : « Within the Law » by Marvin Dana
- It would have been unfortunate if it were otherwise, for he is very poor indeed.
- Extract from : « Thoroughbreds » by W. A. Fraser
- You have an unfortunate way, Eileen, of defeating your own ends.
- Extract from : « Her Father's Daughter » by Gene Stratton-Porter
- Whether a folly or no, the house was certainly an unfortunate one.
- Extract from : « Browne's Folly » by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- It was only his unfortunate and transparent manner of speakin'.
- Extract from : « Samantha Among the Brethren, Part 5. » by Josiah Allen's Wife (Marietta Holley)
- Pity for this unfortunate Irishman recalled Ireland to my thoughts.
- Extract from : « Tales And Novels, Volume 4 (of 10) » by Maria Edgeworth
- I continued the descent, and crossed the creek to where the unfortunate Tulp was waiting for me.
- Extract from : « In the Valley » by Harold Frederic
- Their work was over, but an unfortunate accident marred its conclusion.
- Extract from : « Heroes of the Telegraph » by J. Munro
Antonyms for unfortunate
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019