Synonyms for swarm
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : swawrm|
|Phonetic Transcription : swɔrm|
Top 10 synonyms for swarm Other synonyms for the word swarm
Définition of swarmOrigin :
- "cloud of bees or other insects," Old English swearm, from Proto-Germanic *swarmaz (cf. Old Saxon, Middle Low German swarm, Swedish svärm, Middle Dutch swerm, Old High German swarm, German Schwarm "swarm;" Old Norse svarmr "tumult"), usually derived from PIE imitative root *swer- (2) "to buzz, whisper" (see susurration) on notion of humming sound. But OED suggests possible connection with base of swerve and ground sense of "agitated, confused, or deflected motion."
- noun large, moving group
- verb move forward as a group
- The moment a report of a gun is heard they'll swarm up to this room and get you.
- Extract from : « Way of the Lawless » by Max Brand
- A swarm surrounded the drug store, the glass door of which stood open.
- Extract from : « Chip, of the Flying U » by B. M. Bower
- And springing up, he ran to the bowsprit and began to swarm along it.
- Extract from : « Fair Margaret » by H. Rider Haggard
- But the sprinkling was a swarm in the Twickenham cottage, and filled it.
- Extract from : « Little Dorrit » by Charles Dickens
- A swarm of airships came into view, swirling in savage fight.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science, November, 1930 » by Various
- The swift fakes struck at her eyes and ears like a swarm of vicious flies.
- Extract from : « Heather and Snow » by George MacDonald
- Every swarm of meteors in the solar system was carefully plotted.
- Extract from : « Pirates of the Gorm » by Nat Schachner
- They're going to swarm in over when the enemy makes his first crack.
- Extract from : « Two Thousand Miles Below » by Charles Willard Diffin
- I have got away from the wasp's nest only to tumble into the middle of the swarm!
- Extract from : « A Nest of Spies » by Pierre Souvestre
- He rode off down the hill, surrounded by a swarm of fugitives, and vanished from their sight.
- Extract from : « The Downfall » by Emile Zola
Antonyms for swarm
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019