Synonyms for surmount
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ser-mount|
|Phonetic Transcription : sərˈmaʊnt|
Top 10 synonyms for surmount Other synonyms for the word surmount
Définition of surmountOrigin :
- late 14c., "to rise above, go beyond," from Old French surmounter "rise above," from sur- "beyond" (see sur-) + monter "to go up" (see mount (v.)). Meaning "to prevail over, overcome" is recorded from late 14c. Related: Surmounted; surmounting.
- verb overcome, triumph over
- Throw what obstacles in the way you please; it will surmount them all.
- Extract from : « A Writer's Recollections (In Two Volumes), Volume I » by Mrs. Humphry Ward
- With this they were to surmount the stockade and gain the open.
- Extract from : « Captain Blood » by Rafael Sabatini
- Then there were the high walls of custom and prejudice to surmount.
- Extract from : « The Manxman » by Hall Caine
- Tell them all together, in the class, what their difficulties will be, and how they may surmount them.
- Extract from : « The Teacher » by Jacob Abbott
- I had a good deal of pain to surmount myself, as to the last.
- Extract from : « The Autobiography of Madame Guyon » by Jeanne Marie Bouvier de La Motte Guyon
- It seemed that the freshmen could not surmount the fatal two points.
- Extract from : « Marjorie Dean, College Sophomore » by Pauline Lester
- We had to surmount them, and with our brigadier we took our coats off and buckled to the job.
- Extract from : « On the Heels of De Wet » by The Intelligence Officer
- The absolute want of room is an evil that nothing can surmount.
- Extract from : « The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, Volume I (of II) » by Charles Darwin
- Flora was beside me, and I felt ready to surmount any peril for her sake.
- Extract from : « The Cryptogram » by William Murray Graydon
- He has not learned the lesson of life who does not every day surmount a fear.
- Extract from : « How to Succeed » by Orison Swett Marden
Antonyms for surmount
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019