Synonyms for stinging
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : sting|
|Phonetic Transcription : stɪŋ|
Top 10 synonyms for stinging Other synonyms for the word stinging
Définition of stingingOrigin :
- Old English stingan "to prick with a small point" (of weapons, insects, plants, etc.), from Proto-Germanic *stenganan (cf. Old Norse stinga, Old High German stungen "to prick," Gothic us-stagg "to prick out," Old High German stanga, German stange "pole, perch," German stengel "stalk, stem"), from PIE *stengh-, nasalized form of root *stegh- "to prick, sting" (cf. Old English stagga "stag," Greek stokhos "pointed stake"). Specialized to insects late 15c. Slang meaning "to cheat, swindle" is from 1812.
- adj painful
- The stinging air bit my nostrils and drove my hands into my pockets.
- Extract from : « In the Valley » by Harold Frederic
- It floated everywhere, and Dick felt it stinging his mouth and throat.
- Extract from : « The Rock of Chickamauga » by Joseph A. Altsheler
- His mouth was full of something that burned, a liquid hot, acrid, and stinging.
- Extract from : « The Black Bag » by Louis Joseph Vance
- For which prevision he was rewarded with a stinging smack on the head.
- Extract from : « The Channings » by Mrs. Henry Wood
- This was my aunt's stinging epithet for me in moments of anger.
- Extract from : « My Double Life » by Sarah Bernhardt
- The early July days were cloudless and full of hot, stinging noises.
- Extract from : « Four Girls and a Compact » by Annie Hamilton Donnell
- This was said rather loudly, and probably with the intention of stinging me.
- Extract from : « A Hero of Our Time » by M. Y. Lermontov
- Its pitiless words flailed him unceasingly with their stinging taunts.
- Extract from : « The Affair of the Brains » by Anthony Gilmore
- Sweat soaking his shirt, rivering down his face, stinging his eyes.
- Extract from : « Small World » by William F. Nolan
- Then off they fly—a whole swarm of singing, stinging mosquitoes.
- Extract from : « Our Young Folks at Home and Abroad » by Various
Antonyms for stinging
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019