Synonyms for shake-down
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : sheyk-doun|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈʃeɪkˌdaʊn|
Top 10 synonyms for shake-down Other synonyms for the word shake-down
Définition of shake-downOrigin :
- also shakedown, 1730, "impromptu bed made upon loose straw," from verbal phrase; see shake (v.) + down (adv.). Meaning "forced contribution" (1902) is from the verbal phrase in a slang sense "blackmail, extort" (1872). Meaning "a thorough search" is from 1914; perhaps from the notion of measuring corn. The oldest use of the verbal phrase shake down is "cause to totter and fall" (c.1400).
- As in practice : verb repeat action to improve
- When it came time to retire Darry was given a shake-down in the second room.
- Extract from : « Darry the Life Saver » by Frank V. Webster
- Often he would be found in the Reception Room just next to the shake-down Parlor.
- Extract from : « Ade's Fables » by George Ade
- Well, you can give me a shake-down somewhere—in the billiard-room.
- Extract from : « Dolly Reforming Herself » by Henry Arthur Jones
- Here's some pickles—they ain't good, but they'll do at a shake-down.
- Extract from : « Old Ebenezer » by Opie Read
- Darting in, she fairly hauled me to the shake-down in the far corner.
- Extract from : « The Crossing » by Winston Churchill
- "Put him in my bed and give me a shake-down on the floor," said Tembarom.
- Extract from : « T. Tembarom » by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- You just go to Miss Burford and ask her to find you a shake-down.
- Extract from : « In Connection with the De Willoughby Claim » by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- I was at the shake-down in the evening—something quite beautiful.
- Extract from : « The Story of My Life, volumes 4-6 » by Augustus J. C. Hare
- "The missus will make you a shake-down on the floor," he said.
- Extract from : « Children of the Bush » by Henry Lawson
- Or maybe just looking the old ranch over with a view to a shake-down!
- Extract from : « Satan Sanderson » by Hallie Erminie Rives
Antonyms for shake-down
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019