Synonyms for senescent
|Grammar : Adj, noun|
|Spell : si-nes-uh nt|
|Phonetic Transcription : sɪˈnɛs ənt|
Top 10 synonyms for senescent Other synonyms for the word senescent
- been around
- getting along
- getting on
- getting up in years
- growing old
- in second childhood
- out of fashion
- over the hill
- senior citizen
- wearing out
- worse for wear
Définition of senescentOrigin :
- 1650s, from Latin senescentem (nominative scenescens), present participle of senescere "to grow old," from senex "old" (see senile).
- As in senile : adj failing in physical and mental capabilities due to old age
- As in long in the tooth : adj old
- As in obsolescent : adj becoming obsolete
- As in aged : adj old
- As in aging : noun becoming older
- I constantly act as phlebotomist to the vanity of the young and to the anecdotage of the senile and senescent.
- Extract from : « The Journal of a Disappointed Man » by Wilhelm Nero Pilate Barbellion
- On this theme she chanted long and lovingly and a hundred coloured, senescent imageries leaped from the song.
- Extract from : « Nights in London » by Thomas Burke
- A senescent city; mostly antiquated Spanish architecture,—ponderous archways and earthquake-proof walls.
- Extract from : « Two Years in the French West Indies » by Lafcadio Hearn
- The gardener slammed the door of the senescent truck with vehement lack of affection.
- Extract from : « Greener Than You Think » by Ward Moore
- Has it not sometimes occurred to you that it is only in the senescent epoch of a nations life that love disappears?
- Extract from : « The Life and Letters of Lafcadio Hearn, Volume 1 » by Elizabeth Bisland
- That senescent October moon which a year ago marked the end of love's halcyon would have been a suitable light for such a party.
- Extract from : « Carnival » by Compton Mackenzie
- By that sort of piety to which senescent female sinners everywhere and at all times devote themselves she secured new friends.
- Extract from : « Lucretia Borgia » by Ferdinand Gregorovius
- The process in which we now find James engaged is mental rather than senescent, but you would hardly guess it to look at him.
- Extract from : « The Whirligig of Time » by Wayland Wells Williams
Antonyms for senescent
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019