Synonyms for ruled out
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : rool|
|Phonetic Transcription : rul|
Top 10 synonyms for ruled out Other synonyms for the word ruled out
Définition of ruled outOrigin :
- c.1200, "principle or maxim governing conduct, formula to which conduct must be conformed" from Old French riule, Norman reule "rule, custom, (religious) order" (in Modern French partially re-Latinized as règle), from Vulgar Latin *regula, from Latin regula "straight stick, bar, ruler;" figuratively "a pattern, a model," related to regere "to rule, straighten, guide" (see regal). Replaced Old English wealdan.
- Meaning "regulation governing play of a game, etc." is from 1690s. Phrase rule of thumb first attested 1690s. Rule of law "supremacy of impartial and well-defined laws to any individual's power" is from 1883. Meaning "strip used for making straight lines or measuring" is recorded from mid-14c. Typography sense is attested from 1680s.
- verb exclude, reject
- The influence of sewer air was ruled out because there were no sewers.
- Extract from : « Rural Hygiene » by Henry N. Ogden
- Patent medicines and any questionable products were ruled out.
- Extract from : « Susan B. Anthony » by Alma Lutz
- Photograph and picture are ruled out equally on the one count.
- Extract from : « The Enjoyment of Art » by Carleton Noyes
- The mule, however, was ruled out by the judges, on the ground that he had "horse-blood" in him.
- Extract from : « When Life Was Young » by C. A. Stephens
- It follows from this view that the category of the possible is ruled out.
- Extract from : « A History of Mediaeval Jewish Philosophy » by Isaac Husik
- In these cases this symptom is ruled out for diagnotic purposes.
- Extract from : « Searchlights on Health: Light on Dark Corners » by B.G. Jefferis
- Voting and balloting, and speech-making were ruled out of order.
- Extract from : « The Continental Monthly, Vol. 6, No 4, October, 1864 » by Various
- Its machinery was defective, however, and it was ruled out by the judges.
- Extract from : « Great Men and Famous Women. Vol. 6 of 8 » by Various
- That ruled out the use of eight- and ten- and fifteen-gravity acceleration.
- Extract from : « Space Platform » by Murray Leinster
- Anyone who challenges the crowds fictions must be ruled out of court.
- Extract from : « The Behavior of Crowds » by Everett Dean Martin
Antonyms for ruled out
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019