Synonyms for rigor
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : rig-er|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈrɪg ər|
Top 10 synonyms for rigor Other synonyms for the word rigor
Définition of rigorOrigin :
- late 14c., from Old French rigor "strength, hardness" (13c., Modern French rigueur), from Latin rigorem (nominative rigor) "numbness, stiffness, hardness, firmness; roughness, rudeness," from rigere "be stiff" (see rigid).
- noun strictness, exactness
- Then I am full of regret for you, because—because I know the rigor of police discipline.
- Extract from : « The Law-Breakers » by Ridgwell Cullum
- It was judged not proper for me to return, considering the rigor of the season.
- Extract from : « The Autobiography of Madame Guyon » by Jeanne Marie Bouvier de La Motte Guyon
- It is like an iron country, and the spirit is oppressed by its rigor and melancholy.
- Extract from : « O Pioneers! » by Willa Cather
- The other patient was seized with a rigor the third morning after delivery.
- Extract from : « Medical Essays » by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
- The mine owner did not speak, but the rigor of his eyes did not relax.
- Extract from : « Brand Blotters » by William MacLeod Raine
- "Rigor mortis," Doc Candle diagnosed, with a wink to Collins.
- Extract from : « The Last Place on Earth » by James Judson Harmon
- It was true; the rigor was that of increasing fever; her cheeks were scarlet.
- Extract from : « Flamsted quarries » by Mary E. Waller
- The evil had gone to its utmost limit, and could not be cured by rigor or persecution.
- Extract from : « Mexico and its Religion » by Robert A. Wilson
- What a Prussia; for rigor of command, one huge prison, in a manner!
- Extract from : « History of Friedrich II. of Prussia, Vol. XVI. (of XXI.) » by Thomas Carlyle
- Were God to deal with us according to the rigor of his laws, we should all be lost.
- Extract from : « Epistle Sermons, Vol. II » by Martin Luther
Antonyms for rigor
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019