Synonyms for pun
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : puhn|
|Phonetic Transcription : pʌn|
Top 10 synonyms for pun Other synonyms for the word pun
Définition of punOrigin :
- 1660s (first attested in Dryden), of uncertain origin, perhaps from pundigron, which is perhaps a humorous alteration of Italian puntiglio "equivocation, trivial objection," diminutive of Latin punctum "point." This is pure speculation. The verb also is attested from 1660s. Related: Punned; punning.
- Pun was prob. one of the clipped words, such as cit, mob, nob, snob, which came into fashionable slang at or after the Restoration. [OED]
- noun play on words
- He would have to remember the pun to tell Alec Diger later, if there was a later.
- Extract from : « The Velvet Glove » by Harry Harrison
- I explained that he probably intended a pun upon his name, which was Coleman.
- Extract from : « Frank Fairlegh » by Frank E. Smedley
- This is a pun, which, profound in itself, you must not expect to enjoy at first reading.
- Extract from : « Letters of Edward FitzGerald » by Edward FitzGerald
- "He's a bad pill," said another, repeating a pun already old.
- Extract from : « Other Main-Travelled Roads » by Hamlin Garland
- Daniel Purcell, the famous punster, was desired to make a pun extempore.
- Extract from : « The Jest Book » by Mark Lemon
- Another made a pun which so pleased the earl that he, too, was set free.
- Extract from : « Historical Tales, Vol. 9 (of 15) » by Charles Morris
- The sweetest cottage at twenty pun' a year as I ever set eyes on.
- Extract from : « The Opal Serpent » by Fergus Hume
- It was, therefore, in this age that the pun appeared with pomp and dignity.
- Extract from : « Essays and Tales » by Joseph Addison
- "Ye may have the dog for a pun'—I'll only ask you a pun'," and he walked away to the window.
- Extract from : « Bob, Son of Battle » by Alfred Ollivant
- May I venture to suggest a pun on the preterite of the verb to speak?
- Extract from : « Notes and Queries, Number 213, November 26, 1853 » by Various
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019