Synonyms for paronomasia
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : par-uh-noh-mey-zhuh, -zhee-uh, -zee-uh|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˌpær ə noʊˈmeɪ ʒə, -ʒi ə, -zi ə|
Top 10 synonyms for paronomasia Other synonyms for the word paronomasia
Définition of paronomasiaOrigin :
- "pun," 1570s, from Latin, from Greek paronomasia "play upon words which sound similarly," from paronomazein "to alter slightly, to call with slight change of name," literally "to name beside," from par- (see para- (1)) + onomasia "naming," from onoma "name" (see name (n.)).
- As in pun : noun play on words
- Reuss renders the paronomasia, "qu'il soit cach ou lch en Israel."
- Extract from : « The Expositor's Bible: The First Book of Kings » by F. W. Farrar
- The only grounds for this theory are the easiness of the Greek style and the paronomasia in iv.
- Extract from : « Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 10, Slice 1 » by Various
Words or expressions associated with your search
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019