Synonyms for post hoc
|Grammar : Adv|
|Spell : pohst hohk; English pohst hok|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈpoʊst ˈhoʊk; English ˈpoʊst ˈhɒk|
Top 10 synonyms for post hoc Other synonyms for the word post hoc
Définition of post hocOrigin :
- Latin, "after this." Especially in post hoc, ergo propter hoc, logical fallacy, literally "after this, therefore because of this."
- As in afterward : adv following
- As in afterward/afterwards : adv following a time, event
- Not in it exactly, unless you go in for post hoc, propter hoc.
- Extract from : « The Best Short Stories of 1917 » by Various
- This view may seem to be the result of post hoc reasoning, but I think it is not.
- Extract from : « The Fat of the Land » by John Williams Streeter
- The post hoc may be taken as established; was it a propter hoc?
- Extract from : « The Open Secret of Ireland » by T. M. Kettle
- Post hoc, ergo propter hoc, is the motto of the savage philosophy of causation.
- Extract from : « Myth, Ritual, and Religion, Vol. 1 » by Andrew Lang
- In the extremity of the circle, the words “Post hoc autem judicium statutum est omnibus hominibus semel mori.”
- Extract from : « The Dance of Death » by Francis Douce
- Post hoc ergo propter hoc may not always be safe logic, but here I seemed to perceive a natural connection of cause and effect.
- Extract from : « The Oxford Book of American Essays » by Various
- Post hoc ergo propter hoc is the phrase which sums this up: After this, therefore because of this.
- Extract from : « Talks on Writing English » by Arlo Bates
- But faith and enthusiasm did not compensate for the post hoc propter hoc attitude.
- Extract from : « Medical Investigation in Seventeenth Century England » by Charles W. Bodemer
- It makes all the difference whether any given event is a case of propter hoc or post hoc.
- Extract from : « Poetics » by Aristotle
- For the credit of this species, therefore, we were fortunately able to distinguish the post hoc from the propter hoc.
- Extract from : « Mushroom Culture » by W. Robinson
Antonyms for post hoc
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019