Synonyms for paralysis
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : puh-ral-uh-sis|
|Phonetic Transcription : pəˈræl ə sɪs|
Top 10 synonyms for paralysis Other synonyms for the word paralysis
- bad times
- bear market
- big trouble
- bottom out
- hard times
- rainy days
Définition of paralysisOrigin :
- 1520s, from Latin paralysis, from Greek paralysis "paralysis, palsy," literally "loosening," from paralyein "disable, enfeeble," from para- "beside" (see para- (1)) + lyein "loosen, untie" (see lose).
- Figurative use from 1813. Earlier form was paralysie (late 14c., see palsy). Old English equivalent was lyft adl (see left (adj.)) or crypelnes "crippleness."
- As in inertia : noun disinclination to move; lifelessness
- As in numbness : noun deadness
- As in depression : noun economic decline
- One morning, as he was going downstairs, Orlando was stricken with paralysis.
- Extract from : « The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete » by Emile Zola
- He was not wordy, and he tarried but a moment, yet he explained his paralysis.
- Extract from : « The Cavalier » by George Washington Cable
- Just as the bonds of paralysis had broken, he had lost consciousness.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science, November, 1930 » by Various
- One day, when they were at church, he died of a second attack of paralysis.
- Extract from : « A Zola Dictionary » by J. G. Patterson
- Captain Cy dropped her hand as if his own had been struck with paralysis.
- Extract from : « Cy Whittaker's Place » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- I didn't know but you'd been struck by walkin' paralysis or somethin'.
- Extract from : « Galusha the Magnificent » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- The doctor says it's a paralysis or appleplexy or somethin'.
- Extract from : « The Rise of Roscoe Paine » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- He has had a stroke of paralysis, and there seem to be other complications.
- Extract from : « Cap'n Eri » by Joseph Crosby Lincoln
- And it seemed to him that a sort of paralysis had fallen on their wits.
- Extract from : « The Lion's Skin » by Rafael Sabatini
- Then, and not till then, did the paralysis of horror loose its grip on the human.
- Extract from : « The Planetoid of Peril » by Paul Ernst
Antonyms for paralysis
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019