Synonyms for papyrus
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : puh-pahy-ruh s|
|Phonetic Transcription : pəˈpaɪ rəs|
Top 10 synonyms for papyrus Other synonyms for the word papyrus
Définition of papyrusOrigin :
- late 14c., from Latin papyrus "the paper plant, paper made from it," from Greek papyros "any plant of the paper plant genus," said to be of Egyptian origin. Proper plural is papyri.
- As in paper : noun material upon which one writes
- As in parchment : noun material for writing
- As in scroll : noun roll of writing
- We have mummy wheat,—cloth of papyrus, which is a kind of straw.
- Extract from : « Proserpina, Volume 1 » by John Ruskin
- Wreaths of papyrus crowned these dishes with their green foliage.
- Extract from : « The Works of Theophile Gautier, Volume 5 » by Theophile Gautier
- Papyrus, like the art of writing upon it, came originally from Egypt.
- Extract from : « Romulus, Makers of History » by Jacob Abbott
- It was impossible to get it away without tearing the outer sheets of papyrus.
- Extract from : « Cleopatra » by H. Rider Haggard
- The pond is edged by papyrus plants, which are alternately in blossom and in bud.
- Extract from : « History of Phoenicia » by George Rawlinson
- Demetrius spoke no more, but arranged the sheets of papyrus that strewed the table.
- Extract from : « Serapis, Complete » by Georg Ebers
- His profits on the manufacture of papyrus might have maintained a cityfull of poor.
- Extract from : « Homo Sum, Complete » by Georg Ebers
- The lower down they sailed, the denser were the thickets of papyrus on the shore.
- Extract from : « The Bride of the Nile, Complete » by Georg Ebers
- If Caracalla tore it open, the papyrus and the writing might be damaged.
- Extract from : « A Thorny Path [Per Aspera], Complete » by Georg Ebers
- The treaty was written on papyrus and nailed up in this temple.
- Extract from : « History Of Egypt From 330 B.C. To The Present Time, Volume 11 (of 12) » by S. Rappoport
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019