Synonyms for fortify
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : fawr-tuh-fahy|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈfɔr təˌfaɪ|
Top 10 synonyms for fortify Other synonyms for the word fortify
Définition of fortifyOrigin :
- early 15c., "increase efficacy" (of medicine); mid-15c., "provide (a town) with walls and defenses," from Old French fortifiier (14c.) "to fortify, strengthen," from Late Latin fortificare "to strengthen, make strong," from Latin fortis "strong" (see fort) + facere "to make" (see factitious).
- Sense of "to strengthen mentally or morally" is from late 15c. Meaning "add liquor or alcohol" is from 1880. Related: Fortified; fortifying.
- verb make strong and secure; add to
- verb encourage, reassure
- To justify and fortify myself I thought how badly my husband had behaved to me.
- Extract from : « The Woman Thou Gavest Me » by Hall Caine
- That name seemed to fortify them against the scouts of passion.
- Extract from : « The Manxman » by Hall Caine
- Do you think these are the men who are likely to fortify and maintain your title to the crown?
- Extract from : « The Historical Nights' Entertainment » by Rafael Sabatini
- "The enemy are continuing to fortify the coast, Sir," said the subaltern.
- Extract from : « Punch, or the London Charivari, Vol. 147, December 30, 1914 » by Various
- A truce is then made for the purpose of burying the dead, and the Greeks fortify their camp.
- Extract from : « The Iliad of Homer (1873) » by Homer
- And indeed the aspect of the princely abode had something about it to fortify his hope.
- Extract from : « The Nabob » by Alphonse Daudet
- As soon as they reached the houses they began to fortify them.
- Extract from : « Through Three Campaigns » by G. A. Henty
- Why had she not been allowed time, opportunity, to fortify herself!
- Extract from : « The Spinner's Book of Fiction » by Various
- Jan. 29—Turks fortify Erzerum, and order civilians to depart.
- Extract from : « Current History, A Monthly Magazine » by New York Times
- Mezentius halted and attempted to fortify himself on a hill.
- Extract from : « Romulus, Makers of History » by Jacob Abbott
Antonyms for fortify
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019