Synonyms for bulwark
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : bool-werk, -wawrk, buhl-|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈbʊl wərk, -wɔrk, ˈbʌl-|
Top 10 synonyms for bulwark Other synonyms for the word bulwark
Définition of bulwarkOrigin :
- early 15c., from Middle Dutch bulwerke or Middle High German bolwerc, probably from bole "plank, tree trunk" (from Proto-Germanic *bul-, from PIE root *bhel- (2) "to blow, swell;" see bole) + werc "work" (see work (n.)). Figurative sense is from 1570s.
- noun fortification, support
- "I prythee that you will pardon me," said the knight, clutching his way along the bulwark.
- Extract from : « The White Company » by Arthur Conan Doyle
- We told these chaps we were deserters from the Bulwark, 74, and begged them to help us along.
- Extract from : « Ned Myers » by James Fenimore Cooper
- Hector, the bulwark of Troy, had fallen, and the ruin of the city was at hand.
- Extract from : « Old Greek Folk Stories Told Anew » by Josephine Preston Peabody
- I returned on deck, where, leaning on the bulwark, I scanned the distance.
- Extract from : « My Double Life » by Sarah Bernhardt
- When he had succeeded, he walked over to where the girl leaned on the bulwark.
- Extract from : « One Day's Courtship » by Robert Barr
- I climbed the bulwark and set my foot upon the rope-ladder which led down to her.
- Extract from : « Micah Clarke » by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Abaris was the bulwark of Egypt, but we could not keep the savages back.
- Extract from : « The Captain of the Pole-Star and Other Tales » by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Prayer was the bulwark of chastity, and God was in need of no man's efforts.
- Extract from : « The Christian » by Hall Caine
- An engineman and a stoker were leaning over the bulwark to cool themselves.
- Extract from : « The Manxman » by Hall Caine
- Here the crowd groaned against a bulwark of stout policemen.
- Extract from : « Pipefuls » by Christopher Morley
Antonyms for bulwark
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019