Synonyms for extinction
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ik-stingk-shuh n|
|Phonetic Transcription : ɪkˈstɪŋk ʃən|
Définition of extinctionOrigin :
- early 15c., from Latin extinctionem/exstinctionem (nominative extinctio/exstinctio), noun of action from past participle stem of extinguere/exstinguere (see extinguish). Originally of fires, lights; figurative use, of wiping out a material thing (a debt, a person, a family, etc.) from early 17c.; of species by 1784.
- noun dying out
- Thus manifestly a negligible factor, it is also one tending to extinction.
- Extract from : « 'Tis Sixty Years Since » by Charles Francis Adams
- If this holy fire be too much confined, it will be in danger of extinction.
- Extract from : « Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. II » by Francis Augustus Cox
- Warfare was on the road to extinction, threatened by its very excesses.
- Extract from : « The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete » by Emile Zola
- Every race which does not understand this necessity ends in extinction.
- Extract from : « The Sexual Question » by August Forel
- The Anglo-Saxon civilizes the other races or devotes them to extinction.
- Extract from : « The International Monthly, Volume 3, No. 2, May, 1851 » by Various
- One cannot but desire that their extinction in these parts, which is certain, may be also speedy.
- Extract from : « Six Letters From the Colonies » by Robert Seaton
- Why, he might want me to go, you know—which would bore me to extinction.
- Extract from : « Love and Lucy » by Maurice Henry Hewlett
- It may mean the extinction of Theos as an independent nation.
- Extract from : « The Traitors » by E. Phillips (Edward Phillips) Oppenheim
- It was as if we had been casting a spell of extinction on each other's voices.
- Extract from : « Romance » by Joseph Conrad and F.M. Hueffer
- Rarity, as geology tells us, is the precursor to extinction.
- Extract from : « On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection » by Charles Darwin
Words or expressions associated with your search
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019