Synonyms for extinguish
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ik-sting-gwish|
|Phonetic Transcription : ɪkˈstɪŋ gwɪʃ|
Top 10 synonyms for extinguish Other synonyms for the word extinguish
Définition of extinguishOrigin :
- c.1500 (implied in extinguishable), from Latin extinguere/exstinguere "quench, wipe out, obliterate," from ex- "out" (see ex-) + stinguere "quench," from PIE *steig- "to prick, stick, pierce." Related: Extinguished; extinguishing.
- verb put out a fire
- verb kill; quash
- I sprang to my feet and took immediate measures to extinguish the flames.
- Extract from : « Brave and Bold » by Horatio Alger
- It would be well to extinguish the fire, and have a watch—listen!
- Extract from : « The Last of the Mohicans » by James Fenimore Cooper
- The villagers were summoned to extinguish fires by ringing of bells.
- Extract from : « English Villages » by P. H. Ditchfield
- Jealousy evermore blows the flame it seems formed to extinguish.
- Extract from : « Imogen » by William Godwin
- But should a “holy alliance of legitimates” extinguish it, it will be but for a season.
- Extract from : « Chronicles of Border Warfare » by Alexander Scott Withers
- This enlightenment importuned him; he tried to extinguish it and could not.
- Extract from : « The Memoirs of Louis XIV., His Court and The Regency, Complete » by Duc de Saint-Simon
- When he drops his eyelids, it is just as though he were doing it to extinguish the fire in his eyes.'
- Extract from : « Abbe Mouret's Transgression » by Emile Zola
- I did not know then that Mildred was reluctant to extinguish the last spark of hope in me.
- Extract from : « The Woman Thou Gavest Me » by Hall Caine
- Scatter the fires at once and extinguish the blazing brands.
- Extract from : « The Cat of Bubastes » by G. A. Henty
- As he expressed it, "in trying to extinguish the lamp they have only trimmed the wick."
- Extract from : « Sir Brook Fossbrooke, Volume II. » by Charles James Lever
Antonyms for extinguish
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019