Synonyms for eschew
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : es-choo|
|Phonetic Transcription : ɛsˈtʃu|
Top 10 synonyms for eschew Other synonyms for the word eschew
Définition of eschewOrigin :
- mid-14c., from Old French eschiver "shun, eschew, avoid, dispense with," from Frankish *skiuhan "dread, avoid, shun," from Proto-Germanic *skeukhwaz (cf. Old High German sciuhen "to avoid, escape," German scheuen "to fear, shun, shrink from," scheu "shy, timid"); see shy (v.). Related: Eschewed; eschewing. Italian schivare "to avoid, shun, protect from," schivo "shy, bashful" also are loan words from West Germanic.
- verb have nothing to do with
- He did not eschew work because he was lazy, it seemed; but he saw no use in it.
- Extract from : « Ruth Fielding and the Gypsies » by Alice B. Emerson
- To eschew strife and bragging, spite and greed, would that be love?
- Extract from : « The Sayings Of Confucius » by Confucius
- Sweet children, let your delight be courtesy, and eschew rudeness.
- Extract from : « Early English Meals and Manners » by Various
- You're surely not going to eschew the higher mammals, like our respected father-in-law?
- Extract from : « Fraternity » by John Galsworthy
- It is not hard to eschew cognac and claret, but there is no cure for "buzzing."
- Extract from : « Campaigns of a Non-Combatant, » by George Alfred Townsend
- These the mere romanticist must eschew, if he do not wish to offend or to disgust.
- Extract from : « The Works of Edgar Allan Poe » by Edgar Allan Poe
- Eschew that friend, if thou art wise, who consorts with thy enemies.
- Extract from : « Book of Wise Sayings » by W. A. Clouston
- Perhaps translators from the Greek have a singular temptation to eschew.
- Extract from : « Hymns from the East » by John Brownlie
- They are matters, in fact, which it behooves even the old and the wary to eschew.
- Extract from : « The Prairie Child » by Arthur Stringer
- Hence it is quite necessary to eschew all condiments altogether.
- Extract from : « A Guide to Health » by Mahatma Gandhi
Antonyms for eschew
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019