Synonyms for abjure
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ab-joo r, -jur|
|Phonetic Transcription : æbˈdʒʊər, -ˈdʒɜr|
Définition of abjureOrigin :
- early 15c., from Middle French abjurer or directly from Latin abiurare "deny on oath," from ab- "away" (see ab-) + iurare "to swear," related to ius (genitive iuris) "law" (see jurist). Related: Abjured; abjuring.
- verb give up
- I know it has been a fault of my own, too; but from this moment I abjure it as I would the service of hell!
- Extract from : « The Letters of Robert Burns » by Robert Burns
- I cannot abjure that world which contains the fondest object that links me to life.
- Extract from : « Gomez Arias » by Joaqun Telesforo de Trueba y Coso
- Yet "his blindness was as dense as his hide," and he had refused to abjure his faith.
- Extract from : « Masterpieces of Mystery » by Various
- They then ordered her "to abjure" publicly the various things of which she was accused.
- Extract from : « The Story of Rouen » by Sir Theodore Andrea Cook
- That was as impossible as to make them abjure by proclamation, their religion.
- Extract from : « The Rise of Canada, from Barbarism to Wealth and Civilisation » by Charles Roger
- Her own swain was waiting for her, but not for that would she abjure the quest.
- Extract from : « Country Neighbors » by Alice Brown
- When Prince Hal comes to the crown he is apt to abjure Falstaff.
- Extract from : « Problems of Expansion » by Whitelaw Reid
- They were for the most part (p. 297) ladies and gentlemen who had refused to abjure their religion.
- Extract from : « The Huguenots in France » by Samuel Smiles.
- He will then abjure the other King with a mental reservation.
- Extract from : « The History of England from the Accession of James II. » by Thomas Babington Macaulay
- Thus, ever in perplexity, I must abjure the theory of Byronic merit.
- Extract from : « Browning's Heroines » by Ethel Colburn Mayne
Antonyms for abjure
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019