Synonyms for equivocal
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : ih-kwiv-uh-kuh l|
|Phonetic Transcription : ɪˈkwɪv ə kəl|
Top 10 synonyms for equivocal Other synonyms for the word equivocal
Définition of equivocalOrigin :
- c.1600, from Late Latin aequivocus "of equal voice, of equal significance, ambiguous" (see equivocation) + -al (1). Earlier in same sense was equivoque (late 14c.). Related: Equivocally (1570s).
- adj doubtful, uncertain
- "This was something of a difficult undertaking, too," said he, with an equivocal smile.
- Extract from : « The Fortunes Of Glencore » by Charles James Lever
- There were six or seven of them, all briefly worded, some direct and some equivocal.
- Extract from : « The Memoires of Casanova, Complete » by Jacques Casanova de Seingalt
- Of course I did neither and there fell on us an odd, equivocal silence.
- Extract from : « The Arrow of Gold » by Joseph Conrad
- Hobbes' definition, it may be urged, when applied to the case of the Will, is equivocal.
- Extract from : « Mind and Motion and Monism » by George John Romanes
- Yet Walpole's place in literature is unmistakable, if of equivocal merit.
- Extract from : « Hours in a Library, Volume I. (of III.) » by Leslie Stephen
- It is a misconception to regard this answer of the god as equivocal.
- Extract from : « The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria » by Morris Jastrow
- "Not if I can help it," was his equivocal response as he chirruped to Marc Antony.
- Extract from : « Prairie Folks » by Hamlin Garland
- Le Gardeur gave Anglique an equivocal look at mention of his sister.
- Extract from : « The Golden Dog » by William Kirby
- Of course she could not remain longer in a position so dangerous and equivocal.
- Extract from : « The Doomsman » by Van Tassel Sutphen
- Through him she exhibited the most equivocal and most contradictory conduct.
- Extract from : « Political Women (Vol. 1 of 2) » by Sutherland Menzies
Antonyms for equivocal
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019