Synonyms for dubious
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : doo-bee-uhs, dyoo-|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈdu bi əs, ˈdyu-|
Top 10 synonyms for dubious Other synonyms for the word dubious
- touch and go
Définition of dubiousOrigin :
- 1540s, from Latin dubiosus "doubtful," from dubium "doubt," neuter of dubius "vacillating, moving two ways, fluctuating;" figuratively "wavering in opinion, doubting, doubtful," from duo "two" (see two), with a sense of "of two minds, undecided between two things." Old English also used tweo "two" to mean "doubt." Cf. doubt (v.). Related: Dubiously; dubiousness.
- adj doubtful
- adj vague, unclear
- "I don't know exactly," replied the doctor in a dubious tone.
- Extract from : « Weighed and Wanting » by George MacDonald
- "Why—I've never worn a low dress—not really low," I said, longing but dubious.
- Extract from : « The Bacillus of Beauty » by Harriet Stark
- Better that he had been still silent, than speak that dubious, indecisive "Y—es."
- Extract from : « The Channings » by Mrs. Henry Wood
- Mr. Cruncher was soothed, but shook his head in a dubious and moral way.
- Extract from : « A Tale of Two Cities » by Charles Dickens
- They liked him, but they were dubious of his right to represent the Tory spirit.
- Extract from : « Changing Winds » by St. John G. Ervine
- At first Ben Aboo seemed likely to lose by his dubious transaction.
- Extract from : « The Scapegoat » by Hall Caine
- "Why, I'd be glad to, of course," he declared with dubious enthusiasm.
- Extract from : « Keziah Coffin » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- From the doorway Creede watched him curiously, his lips parted in a dubious smile.
- Extract from : « Hidden Water » by Dane Coolidge
- Of that dubious crew of adventurers she had been led to expect there was never a hint.
- Extract from : « Nobody » by Louis Joseph Vance
- “Sure,” I replied, hurriedly, with no intention of explaining that dubious they.
- Extract from : « Tales of Fishes » by Zane Grey
Antonyms for dubious
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019