Synonyms for dive
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : dahyv|
|Phonetic Transcription : daɪv|
Top 10 synonyms for dive Other synonyms for the word dive
Définition of diveOrigin :
- 13c., from Old English dufan "to dive, duck, sink" (intransitive, class II strong verb; past tense deaf, past participle dofen) and dyfan "to dip, submerge" (weak, transitive), from Proto-Germanic *dubijanan, from PIE *dheub- (see deep). Past tense dove is a later formation, perhaps on analogy of drive/drove. Related: Diving. Dive bomber attested by 1939.
- noun descent, usually underwater
- noun dirty, sleazy establishment
- verb descend, usually going underwater
- "That wasn't much of a dive," his father said, swimming up to him.
- Extract from : « Changing Winds » by St. John G. Ervine
- "There is no one in the Bay who can dive better than I can," he answered.
- Extract from : « A Spirit in Prison » by Robert Hichens
- Stan saw the Me's dive down to overtake and attack the Forts and Libs.
- Extract from : « A Yankee Flier Over Berlin » by Al Avery
- I made a dive for the cellar door, just as they got the range.
- Extract from : « Philo Gubb Correspondence-School Detective » by Ellis Parker Butler
- I can dive like a fish,” said Enda; “but how can I walk beneath the waters?
- Extract from : « Irish Fairy Tales » by Edmond Leamy
- I wasn't going to dive into it; I would have enough to do to keep my head above the surface.
- Extract from : « Lord Jim » by Joseph Conrad
- "I dive out when I get to be the size of the bottle," he murmured.
- Extract from : « The Pygmy Planet » by John Stewart Williamson
- "Dive for the captain, one of you," an authoritative voice directed.
- Extract from : « Romance » by Joseph Conrad and F.M. Hueffer
- The plane teetered on the very verge of a dive beneath the surface.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science, June, 1930 » by Various
- "I'm not altogether sure," says Woodie, "whether it's I or not," and he made a dive to get below.
- Extract from : « Shorty McCabe » by Sewell Ford
Antonyms for dive
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019