Synonyms for combat
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : verb kuhm-bat, kom-bat, kuhm-; noun kom-bat, kuhm-|
|Phonetic Transcription : verb kəmˈbæt, ˈkɒm bæt, ˈkʌm-; noun ˈkɒm bæt, ˈkʌm-|
Top 10 synonyms for combat Other synonyms for the word combat
Définition of combatOrigin :
- 1560s, from Middle French combat (16c.), from Old French combattre (12c.), from Late Latin combattere, from Latin com- "with" (each other) (see com-) + battuere "to beat, fight" (see batter (v.)). Related: Combated; combating; combatted; combatting.
- noun battle
- verb fight
- In front of Judge Gould's office the combat was at its height.
- Extract from : « Harriet, The Moses of Her People » by Sarah H. Bradford
- In fact, as far as I know, little attempt was made to combat fear in any way.
- Extract from : « The Conquest of Fear » by Basil King
- In the man's emphasis the girl realized at last the inefficacy of her efforts to combat his will.
- Extract from : « Within the Law » by Marvin Dana
- If we are going to combat the 'yellow peril' we must combine against it.
- Extract from : « Her Father's Daughter » by Gene Stratton-Porter
- Externally the combat of chastity recommences; always the thorns reappear.
- Extract from : « The Dream » by Emile Zola
- How the combat was going down there, it was difficult to say.
- Extract from : « In the Valley » by Harold Frederic
- He tried to imagine the combat, his own attitude, and the position of his adversary.
- Extract from : « A Comedy of Marriage and Other Tales » by Guy De Maupassant
- I only know that I must wait—that compulsion is greater than my strength to combat.
- Extract from : « There is a Reaper ... » by Charles V. De Vet
- Even when the combat is no more than doubtful, they bear away the bodies of their slain.
- Extract from : « Tacitus on Germany » by Tacitus
- She began to speak quickly, with determination, to combat her fear.
- Extract from : « A Spirit in Prison » by Robert Hichens
Antonyms for combat
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019