Synonyms for ascend
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-send|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈsɛnd|
Top 10 synonyms for ascend Other synonyms for the word ascend
Définition of ascendOrigin :
- late 14c., from Latin ascendere "to climb up, mount, ascend," figuratively "to rise, reach," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + scandere "to climb" (see scan (v.)). Also in 15c. used with a sense "to mount (a female) for copulation." Related: Ascended; ascending. An Old English word for it was stigan.
- verb go up
- Then I heard a voice, saying, 'Lo, the soul seeketh to ascend!'
- Extract from : « Philothea » by Lydia Maria Child
- At length, when we were nearly under the peak, he began to ascend.
- Extract from : « Green Mansions » by W. H. Hudson
- He causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth.
- Extract from : « Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. I » by Francis Augustus Cox
- I, humble representative of the uncommercial interest, ascend with the rest.
- Extract from : « The Uncommercial Traveller » by Charles Dickens
- We came the same evening to the foot of it, but the day was too far advanced to ascend it.
- Extract from : « The History of Louisiana » by Le Page Du Pratz
- It was the work of a moment to enter this, and prepare to ascend.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science, November, 1930 » by Various
- The safest plan is to ascend them without too heavy an encumbrance of theories.
- Extract from : « Mountain Meditations » by L. Lind-af-Hageby
- Must she, then, ascend without pushing her plan to completion?
- Extract from : « Nana, The Miller's Daughter, Captain Burle, Death of Olivier Becaille » by Emile Zola
- She then re-appeared at the head of the stairs, and requested me to ascend.
- Extract from : « Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, Volume 56, Number 350, December 1844 » by Various
- To 'the height of this great argument' I do not propose to ascend.
- Extract from : « Charmides » by Plato
Antonyms for ascend
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019