Synonyms for ahem
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : pronounced with a small scraping sound accompanied or followed by a nasal; spelling pronunciation uh-hem, hem|
|Phonetic Transcription : pronounced with a small scraping sound accompanied or followed by a nasal; spelling pronunciation əˈhɛm, hɛm|
Top 10 synonyms for ahem Other synonyms for the word ahem
Définition of ahemOrigin :
- attention-getting interjection, 1763, lengthened from hem, imitative of clearing the throat.
- As in interjection : noun emphatic exclamation
- As in cough : noun expelled air with sound
- A symbol, a symbol of the bonds which are crushing the brave spirits of our—ahem!
- Extract from : « The Law-Breakers » by Ridgwell Cullum
- I am—a—sure, indeed, convinced, that I love you—ahem—considerably.
- Extract from : « Graham's Magazine Vol XXXII. No. 3. March 1848 » by Various
- I respect the natural indignation of an outraged father, but—ahem!
- Extract from : « Cy Whittaker's Place » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- That's a pretty good piece of property over there and some day—Ahem!
- Extract from : « Galusha the Magnificent » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- She is—ahem—visiting me and she is attending the Misses Cabot's school.
- Extract from : « Mary-'Gusta » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- If you obey him and read the Bible regularly, you will—ahem!
- Extract from : « Paul Prescott's Charge » by Horatio Alger
- The law of averages informed him that you would get back to your––ahem!
- Extract from : « The Spoilers of the Valley » by Robert Watson
- Champion after champion went down before me like—went down like—Ahem!
- Extract from : « The Arena » by Various
- He won't come near this creek, or my name's not—ahem—Mr. Crow.
- Extract from : « The Tale of Timothy Turtle » by Arthur Scott Bailey
- Well, but how are you sure that—ahem—the Almanac person is also plural, Sir Tiglath?
- Extract from : « The Prophet of Berkeley Square » by Robert Hichens
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019