Synonyms for again again
|Grammar : Adj, adv, noun|
|Spell : uh-gen, uh-geyn|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈgɛn, əˈgeɪn|
Top 10 synonyms for again again
- a number of times
- a thousand times
- ad infinitum
- again and again
- as a rule
- at regular intervals
- at short intervals
- at times
- by ordinary
- day after day
- every now and then
- in many instances
- in quick succession
- many a time
- many times
- not infrequently
- not seldom
- once again
- over and over
- thick and fast
- time after time
- time and again
- time and time again
- very often
- year after year
Définition of again againOrigin :
- late Old English agan, from earlier ongean "toward, opposite, against, in exchange for," from on "on" (see on) + -gegn "against, toward," compounded for a sense of "lined up facing, opposite," and "in the opposite direction, returning." For -gegn, cf. Old Norse gegn "straight, direct;" Danish igen "against;" Old Frisian jen, Old High German gegin, German gegen "against, toward," entgegen "against, in opposition to."
- In Old English, eft was the main word for "again" (see eftsoons), but this often was strengthened by ongean, which became the principal word by 13c. Norse influence is responsible for the hard -g-. Differentiated from against 16c. in southern writers, again becoming an adverb only, and against taking over as preposition and conjunction, but again clung to all senses in northern and Scottish dialect (where against was not adopted).
- As in again and again : adj often
- As in much : adv greatly, a lot
- As in often : adv frequently
- As in repeatedly : adv over and over again
- As in frequently : adv commonly, repeatedly
- As in time after time : noun over and over
- Again—again—that weird shriek, followed by a whir and flap of wings.
- Extract from : « Vendetta » by Marie Corelli
- He was relieved when the thought occurred to him to ask her to meet him again—again when they both were calmer.
- Extract from : « How It All Came Round » by L. T. Meade
- Again—again, and a smoking hell wreathed the noble buildings so that it was no longer possible to see them.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science, October, 1930 » by Various
- Again—again thy voice, reminding me that I am wasting the "midnight oil."
- Extract from : « A Bell's Biography » by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Antonyms for again again
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019