Synonyms for after a fashion
|Grammar : Adv|
|Spell : fash-uhn|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈfæʃ ən|
Top 10 synonyms for after a fashion
Définition of after a fashionOrigin :
- c.1300, "shape, manner, mode," from Old French façon (12c.) "face, appearance; construction, pattern, design; thing done; beauty; manner, characteristic feature," from Latin factionem (nominative factio) "group of people acting together," literally "a making or doing," from facere "to make" (see factitious).
- Sense of "prevailing custom" is from late 15c.; that of "style of attire" is from 1520s.
- To call a fashion wearable is the kiss of death. No new fashion worth its salt is wearable. [Eugenia Sheppard, "New York Herald Tribune," Jan. 13, 1960]
- Fashion plate (1851) originally was "full-page picture in a popular magazine showing the prevailing or latest style of dress," in reference to the typographic "plate" from which it was printed. Transfered sense of "well-dressed person" had emerged by 1920s.
- As in somehow : adv by some means
Antonyms for after a fashion
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019