Synonyms for afoul
|Grammar : Adv|
|Spell : uh-foul|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈfaʊl|
Top 10 synonyms for afoul Other synonyms for the word afoul
Définition of afoulOrigin :
- "entangled," 1809, originally nautical, now mainly in phrase to run afoul of; from a- (1) + foul.
- As in amiss : adv wrongly; defectively
- He must have got afoul of the enemy's horse, and been obliged to beat it off.
- Extract from : « The Brigade Commander » by J. W. Deforest
- If, like me, you can't pole a punt its length without running into a mud-bank or afoul of the bushes, then send for Fin.
- Extract from : « The Underdog » by F. Hopkinson Smith
- One would think that they were afraid the old earth itself might be buffeted off its course and fall afoul of neighboring planets.
- Extract from : « Journeys to Bagdad » by Charles S. Brooks
- They were so thick that many appeared to be afoul of one another; now all standing on this tack, now on that.
- Extract from : « Cape Cod » by Henry D. Thoreau
- Yes, marm; but 'tain't there now—the cattle got afoul of the pillar of salt one day, and licked it all up!
- Extract from : « The Humors of Falconbridge » by Jonathan F. Kelley
- What infernal notion is afoul of you, Orne, grabbing for my money before you report?
- Extract from : « When Egypt Went Broke » by Holman Day
- And even when the feller got afoul of him, the chances are the old land-pirut would steal the brick.
- Extract from : « The Skipper and the Skipped » by Holman Day
- The consequence of this was that we no sooner came Abreast of the reef in that locality than we got Afoul of it.
- Extract from : « Punchinello, Vol. 1, No. 19, August 6, 1870 » by Various
- Labe was sorry, too, I don't doubt, when his bedtime went by and he kept runnin' afoul of one of your mistakes after another.
- Extract from : « The Portygee » by Joseph Crosby Lincoln
- Of course, every man was on his feet in a second, thinking we were all but afoul of another vessel.
- Extract from : « The Atlantic Monthly , Volume 2, No. 14, December 1858 » by Various
Antonyms for afoul
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019