Synonyms for affirming
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-furm|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈfɜrm|
Top 10 synonyms for affirming Other synonyms for the word affirming
Définition of affirmingOrigin :
- c.1300, from Old French afermier (Modern French affirmer) "affirm, confirm; strengthen, consolidate," from Latin affirmare "to make steady, strengthen," figuratively "confirm, corroborate," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + firmare "strengthen, make firm," from firmus "strong" (see firm (adj.)). Spelling refashioned 16c. in French and English on Latin model. Related: Affirmed; affirming.
- verb declare the truth of something
- He concluded by affirming that he could not start in less time than seven or eight days.
- Extract from : « Green Mansions » by W. H. Hudson
- She took his part, affirming that he would not have been so wicked if it had not been for the drink.
- Extract from : « L'Assommoir » by Emile Zola
- Do you see then, Socrates, how great is the difficulty of affirming the ideas to be absolute?
- Extract from : « Parmenides » by Plato
- He hurried off a moment later, affirming that he was late at the bank already.
- Extract from : « Shavings » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- In affirming this he did his work injustice: it was much more than that.
- Extract from : « Erasmus and the Age of Reformation » by Johan Huizinga
- We must value everything in its own kind, affirming what it is, and not regretting what it is not.
- Extract from : « The Gate of Appreciation » by Carleton Noyes
- I have no hesitation in affirming that it is a perfect masterpiece in its kind.
- Extract from : « Life and Letters of Lord Macaulay » by George Otto Trevelyan
- Cedarquist had excused himself, affirming that he must look out for his women folk.
- Extract from : « The Octopus » by Frank Norris
- M. Villey quotes Diderot as affirming that the blind cannot imagine.
- Extract from : « Essays Towards a Theory of Knowledge » by Alexander Philip
- Whether this refers to Miss Barbara or not, there is no affirming.
- Extract from : « History of Friedrich II. of Prussia, Vol. XVIII. (of XXI.) » by Thomas Carlyle
Antonyms for affirming
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019