Synonyms for advice
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ad-vahys|
|Phonetic Transcription : ædˈvaɪs|
Top 10 synonyms for advice Other synonyms for the word advice
- bum steer
- two cents' worth
- word to the wise
Définition of adviceOrigin :
- late 13c., auys "opinion," from Old French avis "opinion, view, judgment, idea" (13c.), from phrase ço m'est à vis "it seems to me," or from Vulgar Latin *mi est visum "in my view," ultimately from Latin visum, neuter past participle of videre "to see" (see vision).
- The unhistoric -d- was introduced in English 15c., on model of Latin words in ad-. Substitution of -c- for -s- is 18c., to preserve the breath sound and to distinguish from advise. Meaning "opinion given as to action, counsel" is from late 14c.
- noun recommendation
- In accordance with the advice of Hippocrates, the journey to Olympia was undertaken.
- Extract from : « Philothea » by Lydia Maria Child
- It would be an affront to your own judgment, if you did not: For do you not ask my advice?
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- Did he give one good piece of advice while we were plannin' the job?
- Extract from : « Way of the Lawless » by Max Brand
- You're giving me a terrible responsibility, Tillie, if you're asking my advice.
- Extract from : « K » by Mary Roberts Rinehart
- The advice was good, but in the present temper of the army it was felt to be impracticable.
- Extract from : « Stories from Thucydides » by H. L. Havell
- Against the advice of his men Soto consented to go there with him.
- Extract from : « The Trail Book » by Mary Austin
- Now, if my advice is of any use to you, take a broader view of history than you have done.
- Extract from : « In the Midst of Alarms » by Robert Barr
- The advice of the world is to do the best we can and let the rest go.
- Extract from : « Understanding the Scriptures » by Francis McConnell
- Cyrus, my advice to you is to go home and tell your wife not to be a goose.
- Extract from : « Quaint Courtships » by Various
- Have you not heard of Lenani, the king of all Masai, and of his advice to his people?
- Extract from : « The Leopard Woman » by Stewart Edward White
Antonyms for advice
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019