Synonyms for adumbrates
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : a-duhm-breyt, ad-uh m-breyt|
|Phonetic Transcription : æˈdʌm breɪt, ˈæd əmˌbreɪt|
Top 10 synonyms for adumbrates Other synonyms for the word adumbrates
Définition of adumbratesOrigin :
- "to outline, to sketch," 1580s, from Latin adumbratus "sketched, shadowed in outline," past participle of adumbrare "to represent (a thing) in outline" (see adumbration). Meaning "to overshadow" is 1660s. Related: Adumbrated; adumbrating.
- verb foreshadow
- In his letter to Payne of 23rd December 1882, Burton adumbrates a visit eastward.
- Extract from : « The Life of Sir Richard Burton » by Thomas Wright
- There is not one of them that adumbrates a theory that can be called a theory of Progress.
- Extract from : « The Idea of Progress » by J. B. Bury
Antonyms for adumbrates
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019