Synonyms for adorns
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-dawrn|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈdɔrn|
Top 10 synonyms for adorns Other synonyms for the word adorns
Définition of adornsOrigin :
- late 14c., "to decorate, embellish," also "be an ornament to," from Old French aorner "to order, arrange, dispose, equip; adorn," from Latin adornare "equip, provide, embellish," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + ornare "prepare, furnish, adorn, fit out," from stem of ordo "order" (see order (n.)). The -d- was reinserted by French scribes 14c., in English from late 15c. Related: Adorned; adorning.
- verb decorate
- What is it that adorns and enhances all the wild and uncultivated scenes of nature?
- Extract from : « Imogen » by William Godwin
- It is now one of the most attractive portions of the great pile which it adorns.
- Extract from : « Queen Elizabeth » by Jacob Abbott
- It is the influence that adorns, elevates, and embellishes existence.
- Extract from : « The Martins Of Cro' Martin, Vol. I (of II) » by Charles James Lever
- This adorns the tomb of John and Margaret Whiting, in the north transept.
- Extract from : « John and Betty's History Visit » by Margaret Williamson
- Sprung from what line, adorns the maid These, valleys deep in mountain-shade?
- Extract from : « Crotchet Castle » by Thomas Love Peacock
- The fresco by Giotto is much, but the vault it adorns was planned first.
- Extract from : « Ariadne Florentina » by John Ruskin
- Near us is a type, too: a man who adorns his own tale, and points his own moral.
- Extract from : « The Christmas Books » by William Makepeace Thackeray
- If I mistake not Joanna's form of mind, what most adorns her Is her modest heart.
- Extract from : « The Life of Friedrich Schiller » by Thomas Carlyle
- It is the picture of Charles the Second which adorns it; is it not?
- Extract from : « Devereux, Complete » by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- If there be a waste, he adorns it with trees; if a dry desert, he waters it with a river, or floats it with a lake.
- Extract from : « Travels in China, Containing Descriptions, Observations, and Comparisons, Made and Collected in the Course of a Short Residence at the Imperial Palace of Yuen-Min-Yuen, and on a Subsequent Journey through the Country from Pekin to Canton » by John Barrow
Antonyms for adorns
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019