Synonyms for admonishing
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : ad-mon-ish|
|Phonetic Transcription : ædˈmɒn ɪʃ|
Définition of admonishingOrigin :
- mid-14c., amonesten "remind, urge, exhort, warn, give warning," from Old French amonester (12c.) "urge, encourage, warn," from Vulgar Latin *admonestare, from Latin admonere "bring to mind, remind, suggest;" also "warn, advise, urge," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + monere "advise, warn" (see monitor (n.)).
- The -d- was restored on Latin model. The ending was influenced by words in -ish (e.g. astonish, abolish). Related: Admonished; admonishing.
- adj cautionary
- Sometimes Jukes would break in, admonishing hastily: "Look out, sir!"
- Extract from : « Typhoon » by Joseph Conrad
- Eileen Pederstone looked in admonishing surprise at her father.
- Extract from : « The Spoilers of the Valley » by Robert Watson
- She swept an admonishing glance towards the others as she did so.
- Extract from : « The Bondwoman » by Marah Ellis Ryan
- The admonishing domino, hitherto peaceful, now took umbrage.
- Extract from : « Marjorie Dean, College Sophomore » by Pauline Lester
- The young mistress of the house seemed to be admonishing, instructing, someone.
- Extract from : « Marriage la mode » by Mrs. Humphry Ward
- Sterne is admonishing a young friend as to his manners in society: "You are in love," he says.
- Extract from : « Robert Elsmere » by Mrs. Humphry Ward
- He met their anxious, admonishing glances, unable to interpret them.
- Extract from : « The Hill » by Horace Annesley Vachell
- My father in admonishing her had done it tenderly, I was sure.
- Extract from : « The Adventures of Harry Richmond, Complete » by George Meredith
- On his side, Crozier remains cool, admonishing Cadwallader to do the same.
- Extract from : « The Flag of Distress » by Mayne Reid
- What replies did you get from the men when admonishing them to desist?
- Extract from : « Report of the Committee Appointed to Investigate the Railroad Riots in July, 1877 » by Various
Words or expressions associated with your search
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019