Synonyms for admonish
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ad-mon-ish|
|Phonetic Transcription : ædˈmɒn ɪʃ|
Top 10 synonyms for admonish Other synonyms for the word admonish
Définition of admonishOrigin :
- mid-14c., amonesten "remind, urge, exhort, warn, give warning," from Old French amonester (12c.) "urge, encourage, warn," from Vulgar Latin *admonestare, from Latin admonere "bring to mind, remind, suggest;" also "warn, advise, urge," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + monere "advise, warn" (see monitor (n.)).
- The -d- was restored on Latin model. The ending was influenced by words in -ish (e.g. astonish, abolish). Related: Admonished; admonishing.
- verb warn, strongly criticize
- The Sheikh is come to admonish Khalid, not to return his visit.
- Extract from : « The Book of Khalid » by Ameen Rihani
- I would address you frankly and admonish you to go no more into such places.
- Extract from : « An Outcast » by F. Colburn Adams
- Let him admonish, let him teach, let him forbid what is improper!
- Extract from : « The Dhammapada » by Unknown
- But does not the past admonish those of us who are Preachers and Teachers?
- Extract from : « Broken Bread » by Thomas Champness
- That means: we teach in vain, we admonish in vain; the world has no desire to be better.
- Extract from : « Commentary on Genesis, Vol. II » by Martin Luther
- To admonish is to give a friendly warning to; to give advice.
- Extract from : « Orthography » by Elmer W. Cavins
- Her right to rebuke and admonish was taken as a matter of course.
- Extract from : « Thistle and Rose » by Amy Walton
- We come to admonish you that it is prepared, and about to come off.
- Extract from : « The White Chief » by Mayne Reid
- None of them but have knowledge sufficient to admonish them of what is intended.
- Extract from : « The Lone Ranche » by Captain Mayne Reid
- Write to me, Monkton—exhort me, admonish me, or forsake me for ever.
- Extract from : « Falkland, Complete » by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Antonyms for admonish
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019