Synonyms for adjoin
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-join|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈdʒɔɪn|
Top 10 synonyms for adjoin Other synonyms for the word adjoin
Définition of adjoinOrigin :
- c.1300, "unite, ally" from Old French ajoin- stem of ajoindre "join together, unite," from Latin adjungere "fasten on, harness, join to," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + jungere "to bind together" (see jugular). Meaning "be contiguous with, be adjacent to" is from late 14c. Related: Adjoined; adjoining.
- verb be next to
- verb attach
- And what will you do with this damp abode of fogs, which, if I mistake not, must adjoin the dining-hall?
- Extract from : « The Emperor, Complete » by Georg Ebers
- The battlefields of the Argonne adjoin on the West those of Verdun.
- Extract from : « Verdun Argonne-Metz 1914-1918 » by Anonymous
- It must adjoin two public highways one of which may be an alley.
- Extract from : « Motion Picture Operation, Stage Electrics and Illusions » by Henry C. Horstmann
- Nor do the fields and lanes that adjoin the heath lack their distinctive charm.
- Extract from : « The Call of the Wildflower » by Henry S. Salt
- Your cabin and that occupied by Castellan adjoin, I believe?
- Extract from : « A Cabinet Secret » by Guy Boothby
- "I move we adjoin an git to woik," said Mamie Kidansky promptly.
- Extract from : « New Faces » by Myra Kelly
- It should adjoin the hennery, and a section of its roof should be movable to allow a change of litter.
- Extract from : « Making a Poultry House » by Mary Roberts Conover
- Bathrooms, also, should adjoin the kitchen; for in this situation it will not take long to get ready a bath in the country.
- Extract from : « Ten Books on Architecture » by Vitruvius
- The moats and glacis which surrounded it are still visible to the south, where, covered with trees, they adjoin the gardens.
- Extract from : « Rheims and the Battles for its Possession » by Various
- Lake Salinas terminates the cluster of lagoons that adjoin the Ventana and Guamini mountains.
- Extract from : « In Search of the Castaways » by Jules Verne
Antonyms for adjoin
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019