Synonyms for affix
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : verb uh-fiks; noun af-iks|
|Phonetic Transcription : verb əˈfɪks; noun ˈæf ɪks|
Top 10 synonyms for affix Other synonyms for the word affix
Définition of affixOrigin :
- 1530s, from Medieval Latin affixare, frequentative of Latin affigere (past participle affixus) "fasten to, attach," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + figere "fasten" (see fix (v.)).
- First used by Scottish writers and perhaps from Middle French affixer, a temporarily re-Latinized spelling of Old French afichier (Modern French afficher). Related: Affixed; affixing.
- verb attach or stick
- These are, however, reports to which I do not affix much credit.
- Extract from : « Memoirs of the Court of St. Cloud, Complete » by Lewis Goldsmith
- To neither did he affix his name, but the latter was said to be by “a Gentleman of Oxford.”
- Extract from : « The Poetical Works of William Collins » by William Collins
- Affix them to the bench by nails or screws, preferably the latter.
- Extract from : « Electricity for Boys » by J. S. Zerbe
- On the right is the pear-tree, to which later on we have to affix a captive pear.
- Extract from : « Punch, or the London Charivari, June 10, 1914 » by Various
- The Father of his Country did not affix his revered name to so palpable an absurdity.
- Extract from : « Key-Notes of American Liberty » by Various
- It is also used, either alone or with the affix -kah, to signify is it not?
- Extract from : « A Manual of the Malay language » by William Edward Maxwell
- It is very difficult to affix a date to any relic of that dim past.
- Extract from : « Tracks of a Rolling Stone » by Henry J. Coke
- Here, then, I affix the name by which is known all the surrounding region.
- Extract from : « Early Western Travels 1748-1846, v. 27 » by Various
- Generally used with the affix of bloke when referring to a man.
- Extract from : « The Slang Dictionary » by John Camden Hotten
- Augusta proceeded to affix it to the letter, which she then gave to Nancy.
- Extract from : « Girls of the True Blue » by L. T. Meade
Antonyms for affix
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019