Synonyms for acting up
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : akt|
|Phonetic Transcription : ækt|
Top 10 synonyms for acting up Other synonyms for the word acting up
Définition of acting upOrigin :
- mid-15c., "to act upon or adjudicate" a legal case; 1590s in the theatrical sense, from Latin actus, past participle of agere (see act (n.)). To act up "be unruly" is from 1903. To act out "behave anti-socially" (1974) is from psychiatric sense of "expressing one's unconscious impulses or desires." Related: Acted; acting.
- verb misbehave
- verb to malfunction
- verb misbehave badly
- That was his idea; and the old man was robbing him in not acting up to it.
- Extract from : « The Prime Minister » by Anthony Trollope
- But was he a good Jew, devout and acting up to the light he had?
- Extract from : « Recollections of a Long Life » by John Stoughton
- "I said one of the State Department translators was acting up," Burris said.
- Extract from : « Occasion for Disaster » by Gordon Randall Garrett
- He had bestridden the nervous pinto and Molly was “acting up.”
- Extract from : « Frances of the Ranges » by Amy Bell Marlowe
- God will never blame us for not acting up to any light that was hidden from us.
- Extract from : « The Little Missis » by Charlotte Skinner
- He shook his head and tried to keep his stomach from acting up.
- Extract from : « Rip Foster in Ride the Gray Planet » by Harold Leland Goodwin
- Sincere in his convictions, I do not think he could be blamed for acting up to them.
- Extract from : « With Steyn and De Wet » by Philip Pienaar
- All this was but acting up to the idea Mr. Roubiliac had formed of the abstractedness and eccentricity of genius.
- Extract from : « Art in England » by Dutton Cook
- You say you like people to act up to their convictions; you feel wronged when people blame you for acting up to your convictions.
- Extract from : « Mrs. Maxon Protests » by Anthony Hope
- At first she spoke to him guardedly, acting up to her part of repentant sinner, and expressing a desire to take the veil.
- Extract from : « The Romance of Leonardo da Vinci » by Dmitry Sergeyevich Merezhkovsky
Antonyms for acting up
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019