Synonyms for acerbity
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : uh-sur-bi-tee|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈsɜr bɪ ti|
Top 10 synonyms for acerbity Other synonyms for the word acerbity
Définition of acerbityOrigin :
- 1570s, from Middle French acerbité, from Latin acerbitatem (nominative acerbitas) "harshness, sharpness, bitterness," from acerbus "bitter to taste, sharp, sour, tart" (related to acer "sharp;" cf. Latin superbus "haughty," from super "above"), from Proto-Italic *akro-po- "sharp," from PIE *ak- "sharp" (see acrid). Earliest use in English is figurative, of "sharp and bitter" persons. Of tastes, from 1610s.
- noun bitterness of taste
- noun harsh speech, behavior
- Now, she spoke with some acerbity in her voice, which could at will be wondrous soft and low.
- Extract from : « Within the Law » by Marvin Dana
- “I would have thought her mother should have kept her in order,” said Rachel with acerbity.
- Extract from : « Clare Avery » by Emily Sarah Holt
- After a time Mern suggested with acerbity that Craig was incoherent.
- Extract from : « Joan of Arc of the North Woods » by Holman Day
- "You have promised me," he began, with a note of acerbity in his voice.
- Extract from : « The Green Rust » by Edgar Wallace
- Much annoyed, I answered with some acerbity, bidding her kindly to be gone.
- Extract from : « Fibble, D. D. » by Irvin Shrewsbury Cobb
- "I was thinking of her losing me," replied Mr. Chalk, with a touch of acerbity.
- Extract from : « Dialstone Lane, Complete » by W.W. Jacobs
- "Not my friend, a mere acquaintance," Vane replies with acerbity.
- Extract from : « Guy Kenmore's Wife and The Rose and the Lily » by Mrs. Alex McVeigh Miller
- "I have no doubt he is a thief," continued Aunt Maria, with acerbity.
- Extract from : « Phil the Fiddler » by Horatio Alger, Jr.
- "I mean what I say," returned Alice with a touch of acerbity.
- Extract from : « The Beauty » by Mrs. Wilson Woodrow
- "And a jolly lot that means to me," retorted Masters, with acerbity.
- Extract from : « The Tempering » by Charles Neville Buck
Antonyms for acerbity
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019