Synonyms for abridge
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-brij|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈbrɪdʒ|
Top 10 synonyms for abridge Other synonyms for the word abridge
Définition of abridgeOrigin :
- c.1300, abreggen, "to make shorter, to condense," from Old French abregier "abridge, diminish, shorten," from Late Latin abbreviare "make short" (see abbreviate). The sound development from Latin -vi- to French -dg- is paralleled in assuage (from assuavidare) and deluge (from diluvium). Related: Abridged; abridging.
- verb shorten
- The novelist, like every other artist, must abridge and select.
- Extract from : « An Estimate of the Value and Influence of Works of Fiction in Modern Times » by Thomas Hill Green
- We abridge from watery Pollnitz, taking care of any sense he has.
- Extract from : « History Of Friedrich II. of Prussia, Vol. VI. (of XXI.) » by Thomas Carlyle
- But since the parting must be, 't is well to abridge the pain of long farewell.
- Extract from : « What Will He Do With It, Complete » by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- We must not abridge the liberties of the press or the people.
- Extract from : « Abraham Lincoln » by William Eleroy Curtis
- If an attempt be made to abridge that power, they preach arms and rebellion.
- Extract from : « Christianity Unveiled » by Nicolas-Antoine Boulanger
- Experience shows that it takes less time to transcribe titles in full, than to abridge them with any tolerable degree of accuracy.
- Extract from : « Smithsonian Report on the Construction of Catalogues of Libraries and their Publication by Means of Separate, Stereotyped Titles » by Charles C. Jewett
- I find that I must abridge, by abstaining from the reading of extracts.
- Extract from : « The Life of Jefferson Davis » by Frank H. Alfriend
- Who on earth is empowered to vary or abridge the commandments of God?
- Extract from : « Charles Sumner; his complete works, volume 1 (of 20) » by Charles Sumner
- These the Editor has rather endeavoured to abridge than completely to remove.
- Extract from : « Troy and its Remains » by Henry (Heinrich) Schliemann
- The second section I must abridge, for I cannot transcribe much more.
- Extract from : « Novanglus, and Massachusettensis » by John Adams
Antonyms for abridge
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019