Synonyms for abjectly
|Grammar : Adv|
|Spell : ab-jekt, ab-jekt|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈæb dʒɛkt, æbˈdʒɛkt|
Top 10 synonyms for abjectly
Définition of abjectlyOrigin :
- early 15c., "cast off, rejected," from Latin abiectus, past participle of abicere "to throw away, cast off; degrade, humble, lower," from ab- "away, off" (see ab-) + iacere "to throw" (past participle iactus; see jet (v.)). Figurative sense of "downcast, brought low" first attested 1510s. Related: Abjectly; abjectness.
- As in humbly : adv meekly
- As in obsequiously : adv servilely
- They stood knee-deep in the clutter and lumber, facing each other abjectly.
- Extract from : « The Gentleman From Indiana » by Booth Tarkington
- I never saw a man so abjectly sorry for anything in my life.
- Extract from : « The Stark Munro Letters » by J. Stark Munro
- The man had insulted him grossly, and had apologised as abjectly; that was his view of the incident.
- Extract from : « The Wild Geese » by Stanley John Weyman
- She was frightened—hideously, abjectly, miserably frightened.
- Extract from : « A Bride of the Plains » by Baroness Emmuska Orczy
- So they're as abjectly subject to The Master as their slaves are to them.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science, June, 1930 » by Various
- He was abjectly in love and abjectly submissive, and Claudia had never been so kind.
- Extract from : « Despair's Last Journey » by David Christie Murray
- We need, and abjectly so I may say, an esthetic concept of our own.
- Extract from : « Adventures in the Arts » by Marsden Hartley
- Does that make Him a great tyrant, who only wants to be abjectly worshipped?
- Extract from : « Expositions of Holy Scripture » by Alexander Maclaren
- His polished manners seemed to me abjectly servile with Edmee.
- Extract from : « Mauprat » by George Sand
- "Perhaps it might be called a row-boat, sir," I said abjectly.
- Extract from : « A Far Country, Complete » by Winston Churchill
Antonyms for abjectly
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019