Antonyms for nonplused
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : non-pluhs, non-pluhs|
|Phonetic Transcription : nɒnˈplʌs, ˈnɒn plʌs|
Definition of nonplusedOrigin :
- "to bring to a nonplus, to perplex," 1590s, from the noun (1580s), properly "state where 'nothing more' can be done or said," from Latin non plus "no more, no further" (see plus). Related: Nonplussed.
- verb confuse, perplex
- He had expected to intimidate our hero easily, and now he was nonplused.
- Extract from : « The Young Oarsmen of Lakeview » by Ralph Bonehill
- The neighbor could tell no more, and Captain Putnam and the cadets were nonplused.
- Extract from : « The Putnam Hall Cadets » by Arthur M. Winfield
- Nonplused for the moment, the artist wanted then to carry off the thing easily.
- Extract from : « Artist and Model » by Ren de Pont-Jest
- For a moment, I was too nonplused to speak; I could only stare at her.
- Extract from : « The Holladay Case » by Burton E. Stevenson
- At the time, however, I was nonplused and rather disturbed in my dreams of the future.
- Extract from : « Murder in Any Degree » by Owen Johnson
- To say that I was nonplused is to say less than the truth; I was amazed.
- Extract from : « The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu » by Sax Rohmer
- And for a moment she stared at the scene, nonplused, discomfited.
- Extract from : « The White Moll » by Frank L. Packard
- Something had gone wrong in the engine room, and the engineer was nonplused.
- Extract from : « "Say Fellows--" » by Wade C. Smith
- I can smoke my own pipe in turn, but when the Indian pipe comes around, I am nonplused.
- Extract from : « Canyons of the Colorado » by J. W. Powell
- The youth stood there with the coin in his fingers, nonplused and bewildered; of course he had not understood a word.
- Extract from : « A Tramp Abroad, Complete » by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
Synonyms for nonplused
- mess with one's head
- rattle one's cage
- take aback
- throw into tizzy
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019