Antonyms for negates
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ni-geyt, neg-eyt|
|Phonetic Transcription : nɪˈgeɪt, ˈnɛg eɪt|
Definition of negatesOrigin :
- 1795 (with an isolated use from 1620s), back-formation from negation, or else from Latin negatus, past participle of negare. Related: Negated; negates; negating.
- verb contradict, countermand
- The necessity which acts and negates in it, that is to say, is yet of one substance with both the agents.
- Extract from : « Oxford Lectures on Poetry » by Andrew Cecil Bradley
- It negates the object propounded, which is the general education of the boy on lines in which the father believes.
- Extract from : « Liberalism » by L. T. Hobhouse
- Because State and society do not suffice for humane liberalism, it negates both, and at the same time retains them.
- Extract from : « The Ego and His Own » by Max Stirner
Synonyms for negates
- break with
- cancel out
- fly in the face of
- put down
- turn down
- turn thumbs down
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019