Antonyms for dissenting
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : dih-sent|
|Phonetic Transcription : dɪˈsɛnt|
Definition of dissentingOrigin :
- early 15c., from Latin dissentire "differ in sentiments, disagree, be at odds, contradict, quarrel," from dis- "differently" (see dis-) + sentire "to feel, think" (see sense (n.)). Related: Dissented; dissenting. The noun is 1580s, from the verb.
- Has there ever been a society which has died of dissent? Several have died of conformity in our lifetime. [Jacob Bronowski "Science and Human Values," 1956]
- verb disagree
- He had become insensible, however, to all the dissenting ones.
- Extract from : « The Spenders » by Harry Leon Wilson
- Of the artists the old ladies disapproved, without a dissenting voice.
- Extract from : « Meadow Grass » by Alice Brown
- Many a good ordained clergyman has been dissenting minister as well.
- Extract from : « A Son of Hagar » by Sir Hall Caine
- “It is a mistake to go on to-night,” he said, with a dissenting gesture.
- Extract from : « The Strollers » by Frederic S. Isham
- To this assertion there were but three dissenting voices, and one dissenting opinion.
- Extract from : « The Pioneers » by James Fenimore Cooper
- The motion was carried with a rush, there being no dissenting voices.
- Extract from : « The Grammar School Boys of Gridley » by H. Irving Hancock
- Not a dissenting voice was raised, so Arcot sent the Solarite nearer.
- Extract from : « The Black Star Passes » by John W Campbell
- "Then ride your pony to the centre of these dissenting groups and propose to move on," said he.
- Extract from : « Eventide » by Effie Afton
- To this advice, however, there was one dissenting voice, and that voice was John's.
- Extract from : « Fern Vale (Volume 1) » by Colin Munro
- We might be large in describing, and giving Characters of these dissenting Nobility.
- Extract from : « Atalantis Major » by Daniel Defoe
Synonyms for dissenting
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019