Synonyms for upholding
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uhp-hohld|
|Phonetic Transcription : ʌpˈhoʊld|
Top 10 synonyms for upholding Other synonyms for the word upholding
Définition of upholdingOrigin :
- early 13c., "support, sustain," from up + hold (v.). Cf. Old Frisian upholda, Middle Dutch ophouden, German aufhalten. Related: Upheld; upholding.
- verb maintain, support
- And what is this system which we are thus protecting and upholding?
- Extract from : « The Works of Whittier, Volume VII (of VII) » by John Greenleaf Whittier
- But for the upholding of your church and religion, what antiquity can you show?
- Extract from : « Fox's Book of Martyrs » by John Foxe
- Upholding the law was the city marshal's business, they said.
- Extract from : « Trail's End » by George W. Ogden
- But we must do more than think and feel; we must do our part in supporting them and upholding their hands.
- Extract from : « 'My Beloved Poilus' » by Anonymous
- With that knowledge uplifting and upholding them, they drew apart.
- Extract from : « The Rider of Waroona » by Firth Scott
- In this divine "upholding" and human "following" there is no contradiction.
- Extract from : « The Pursuit of God » by A. W. Tozer
- Your faithfulness and courage in upholding it will be remembered for ever.
- Extract from : « The Conquest » by Eva Emery Dye
- The old political parties, while upholding it, claim to be national.
- Extract from : « American Eloquence, Volume II. (of 4) » by Various
- "I was upholding the glory of the Gran' Fleet, Sir," was the unabashed answer.
- Extract from : « Stories of the Ships » by Lewis R. Freeman
- He persevered in the policy of upholding the Turkish Empire.
- Extract from : « The Earl of Beaconsfield » by James Anthony Froude
Antonyms for upholding
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019