Synonyms for unsubstantial
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : uhn-suh b-stan-shuh l|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˌʌn səbˈstæn ʃəl|
Top 10 synonyms for unsubstantial Other synonyms for the word unsubstantial
Définition of unsubstantialOrigin :
- mid-15c., from un- (1) "not" + substantial.
- adj flimsy
- adj unreal
- adj lacking substance
- Within a minute afterwards, he was, to all outward appearance, as unsubstantial as ever.
- Extract from : « A Tale of Two Cities » by Charles Dickens
- Were I a fat man I could not bear it, but I am as unsubstantial as they themselves.
- Extract from : « Gallipoli Diary, Volume 2 » by Ian Hamilton
- Scott, in Old Mortality, uses it in the moral sense, "unsubstantial."
- Extract from : « The Proverbs of Scotland » by Alexander Hislop
- No darkness of the sky, or concentration of unsubstantial vapour.
- Extract from : « The Death Shot » by Mayne Reid
- That was why the glories were so unsubstantial, and why the dream must end at midnight.
- Extract from : « A Modern Cinderella » by Amanda M. Douglas
- The smoke gave them a wavering aspect as though their shapes were unsubstantial.
- Extract from : « Blackbeard: Buccaneer » by Ralph D. Paine
- For now the triumph faded away, the unsubstantial pageant was no more.
- Extract from : « Double Harness » by Anthony Hope
- Men were dissatisfied with the unsubstantial dream of Platonist and Stoic.
- Extract from : « The Eighteen Christian Centuries » by James White
- All the fishing I did that year was in the prolific but unsubstantial waters of dreamland.
- Extract from : « The Copperhead » by Harold Frederic
- Then, silent and unsubstantial as a shadow, Emmy Turnbull slipped into her seat.
- Extract from : « The Happy End » by Joseph Hergesheimer
Antonyms for unsubstantial
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019