Synonyms for truckle
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : truhk-uhl|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈtrʌk əl|
Top 10 synonyms for truckle Other synonyms for the word truckle
Définition of truckleOrigin :
- "small wheel or roller," late 14c., from Anglo-French trocle, from Latin trochlea "a small wheel, sheaf of a pulley," from Greek trokhileia "a pulley," from trokhos "wheel," from trekhein "to run," from PIE root *dhregh- "to run" (cf. Old Irish droch "wheel," Lithuanian pa-drosti "to run fast"). Truckle bed "small bed on wheels that can be stowed under a larger bed" is from mid-15c.
- verb fawn
- Off with your cap, Snob; down on your knees, Snob, and truckle.
- Extract from : « The Book of Snobs » by William Makepeace Thackeray
- While hunting about, he entered a small room in which were a couple of truckle bedsteads.
- Extract from : « Villegagnon » by W.H.G. Kingston
- Shall we be so vile as to truckle to the enemies of France and show that we can fear them?
- Extract from : « Stories By English Authors: France » by Various
- I think it's sickening to try and truckle to her because she's so rich.
- Extract from : « The Leader of the Lower School » by Angela Brazil
- "She tried to truckle to Norty, too," put in Patricia Lennox.
- Extract from : « A Patriotic Schoolgirl » by Angela Brazil
- In order to succeed I must truckle to people who can be useful to me and I ask you to help me.
- Extract from : « Three Plays by Brieux » by Eugne Brieux
- Why does Orestes truckle to these circumcised, but because they lend money to him and to his creatures?
- Extract from : « Hypatia » by Charles Kingsley
- I began to truckle to him, much as I had truckled to Wolansky.
- Extract from : « The Long Arm » by Franz Habl
- I have not learned to bend and truckle to your will, doing your bidding like a dog; and, by Heaven!
- Extract from : « Robert Tournay » by William Sage
- But Nature is the best writer; she will teach us to be men and not to truckle to power.'
- Extract from : « Lord Chatham » by Archibald Phillip Primrose Rosebery
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019