Synonyms for subsistence
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : suhb-sis-tuhns|
|Phonetic Transcription : səbˈsɪs təns|
Top 10 synonyms for subsistence Other synonyms for the word subsistence
Définition of subsistenceOrigin :
- early 15c., "existence, independence," from Late Latin subsistentia "substance, reality," from Latin subsistens, present participle of subsistere "stand still or firm," from sub "under, up to" (see sub-) + sistere "to assume a standing position," from stare "to stand" (see assist). Properly a loan-translation of Greek hypostasis "subsistence," literally "anything placed under." Meaning "provision of support for animal life" is from 1640s.
- noun provisions for survival
- After this their subsistence was procured exclusively by hunting.
- Extract from : « Chronicles of Border Warfare » by Alexander Scott Withers
- Their children had diminished no other's share, each had come with his or her own means of subsistence.
- Extract from : « Fruitfulness » by Emile Zola
- From what source, then, do you get your means of subsistence?
- Extract from : « The Memorabilia » by Xenophon
- On the sale of his poetical works he is wholly dependent for subsistence.
- Extract from : « The Modern Scottish Minstrel, Volume VI » by Various
- Fowls and goats seem the only other means of subsistence of these people.
- Extract from : « The Expedition to Borneo of H.M.S. Dido » by Henry Keppel
- In this cupboard the grandfather kept everything that he needed for his subsistence.
- Extract from : « Heidi » by Johanna Spyri
- I can see no difficulty in our procuring a subsistence here.
- Extract from : « The Desert Home » by Mayne Reid
- It could be done by employees, during their time away from their subsistence jobs.
- Extract from : « Final Weapon » by Everett B. Cole
- The first was never to have any certainty of his means of subsistence for the morrow.
- Extract from : « Mystics and Saints of Islam » by Claud Field
- We find it recorded there, how these people spend their time and obtain their subsistence.
- Extract from : « Bruin » by Mayne Reid
Antonyms for subsistence
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019